Albania is terrific and fascinating.
Albania has a bewitching soul that cannot fail to haunt you; it exhales something mysterious, a sort of indescribable magic. The beating streams of a Mediterranean sunlight, the meeting with unlikely landscapes, the smoke from burning wild rubbish dumps rising up into the air, the whirls of dust in towns and the sandstorms along the coasts lend the land a specific atmosphere and a strong personality.
What mattered to me was my desire to capture my own intimate experiences of the country, my inner-feelings, steering clear of Roland Barthes’ qualified “studium”. More than any classical documentary issue it is Albania as a photographic theatre with its inhabitants performing in their daily scenery that my images intend to reveal.
* „for sale“ (Albanian)
Gilles Roudière was born 1976 in France, and lives and works in Berlin. His work focuses mainly on Central and Eastern European countries.
- „post SCRIPT“, group exhibition curated by Peggy Sue Amison, Cork, Ireland
- Circulation(s) festival, Paris
- Promenades Photographiques festival, Vendôme, France
- “SHITET”, book in progress with the publishing house Trans Photographic Press
- Projection, off festival Photo Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Photo Stories exhibition organised by newspaper NFTU at Saatchi & Saatchi, London
- Pingyao festival (exhibition curated by Dominique Charlet)
- Rencontres d’Arles, Off festival, projection organised by “Antennes Photo”
- Exhibition at the gallery “Magasin de Jouet”, Arles
For you Berliners out there:
Gilles will also take part in «TEMPS ZERO» a photography screening & concert night at Urban Spree next Saturday, 26th January, 2013. For detailed infos please have a look at the ACMV article for Stéphane C. | Si rien ne s’oppose a la nuit.
For more of Gilles‘ work, please visit